17 April 2013

Paramore more more

I have a pretty poor taste in life experiences. If I had a bucket list there would only be one thing on it: "To see Paramore perform 'That's What You Get'" and I could cross that off. Don't say you weren't warned. Despite this obviously dumb love for something trivial I was underwhelmed by their first release from their 2013 self titled album, 'Now'. It wasn't until  BBCR1's Live Lounge version of Still Into You that I decided to sit up and listen.

'Growing Up' is the punchy introduction into the "you're on your own; grow up and deal with it" theme. A message both for the band's ageing audience as well as themselves. There's a lot of speculation on how they'll do post the issues of 2011 but I'm a New Critic and dealing with autobiography is for the smaller minded. 'Ain't it Fun' is a bittersweet, gospel choir included, reiteration of this theme. The really good one.

'[One of Those] Crazy Girls' doesn't do much in feminist agenda but who am I to judge when it's been in my head since last Tuesday. Appropriate when mixed with Silver Linings Playbook.

The passive aggressive rub-it-in-your-face-I'm-so-happy (slightly Hawaiian?) interludes 'Moving On'/'Holiday'/'I'm Not Angry Anymore' break up the volumes with a vindictive smirk I am 100% on board with.

'Fast In My Car' is also very appropriate when bought on CD and rocking in a ten year old/battered Skoda Fabia. Who says you need a good stereo-system or anything that can go over 70mph anyway.

I was asked if Paramore is "better than their old stuff" and I don't really have an answer for that. I recognise that saying "it's different" is about as helpful as covering doorhandles in mashed potato but it's just that. Different. I guess any woman who can fearlessly wear her fringe like this will have my admiration no matter what. 
Look at how badass that is. I believe it's this haircut which inspired the lyrics to 'Proof': "If I'm a woman with no fear just like I claim I am" - obviously you are Williams, obviously you are.

No comments: