16 April 2013

Save Rock and Roll: Track 12 'Imitation and Gender Insubordination'

Judith Butler wrote in Imitation and Gender Insubordination that when an identity is reiterated the new assertion of identity displaces the identity asserted before.

I am desperately trying to not let Save Rock and Roll displace From Under the Cork Tree or Infinity on High or Take This To Your Grave because the new identity is the lasting one.

It's not that I didn't enjoy the singles from the album but they were boring. They lacked all the punk gusto of their 2004 album. Perhaps it was unrealistic of me to expect even a hint of that but Stump's weight wasn't the only thing the band lost.

My suspicions should have been raised when my pop-loving housemate told me she loved 'My Songs Know What You Did In The Dark (Light Em Up)' instead of subjecting me to the usual chastisement I was so used to receiving for enjoying Fall Out Boy.

It's a mediocre/good pop album with a nice range of collaborative singers. 'Alone Together' and 'Young Volcanoes' are my favourites so far but I guess it's going to take more than two listens to convince me that this identity is one I can get on board with.

So with that in mind, Fall Out Boy, hopefully your next identity will be at least a little more influenced by some of your older ones:

No comments: