19 March 2013

Girls: Season two or more appropriately, Boys

As season two draws to a close we see the relationships of the three girls we've come to put up with come full circle. But have we completely lost interest in the girls by now? What about the boys?

To kind of reiterate Leandra Medine's point in her season finale recap all of the characters end up exactly where they were when the series first began. Except, not really.

The complete role reversal between Charlie and Marnie shocked even me. I love him. I want to know what happens to him in the next series more than I have ever cared about Marnie. At the beginning of season one I thought: "This is her. this is the girl who's exactly like me". Now? No. Dear God, I hope not. She's pathetic. She's become the Charlie she despised. Charlie, he's the same character with a backbone. I don't know what episode it was Marnie gave him hers but it's clearly slipped my memory and worked out a lot better for him than it did her.

I really, really hope Ray's new job isn't a way to get rid of him. He's got the potential to go much further in his character's development and I love the fact that he's a Charlie Brooker meets Chandler meets Gunther kind of guy. All this depressing action is going on and he's the only one with any sense to actually air it aloud. Yes, I see why him and Shosh broke up and it's terrible because you can see how much she really did like him. But I think they'll both be great without each other too. I can't wait to see if Shoshanna embraces the Sex and the City lifestyle she's always dreamt of (see: episode one).

Adam is such a fine-line character. His alcoholism was a bit of a kick in the gut from nowhere, the repercussions of his drinking weren't really discussed, his girlfriend is still his girlfriend - and this is just in the last few episodes. It more than unnerved me in season one when he just let Hannah decide if he should love her or not and then went with her decision. But I think that might be why so many women are ready to fall at his feet - we told him what we wanted and he did it. Although, everyone's kind of ready to ignore his unusual sexual behavior toward women and I guess that's the fissure in his character.

I was a little disappointed in this episode because it got too carried away with a "Hollywood Ending". Don't get me wrong - this is the ending I wanted to see. I wanted the escapism, the fairytale, the love story. I wanted Adam to run across the city shirtless and pick up Hannah for no other reason than to hold her. But it didn't feel right. It didn't feel like it's all going to work out okay. Not for Hannah and Adam, not for Charlie and Marnie and not for Shoshanna or Ray. It felt like this is only the beginning of something bigger.

P.S. I don't have an issue with Jessa being/not being there because she wasn't there at the very start and that all ties in well with coming full circle, however, I do have an issue with her accent. That is not British. That right there is internationally schooled American-British. Just fyi.

No comments: