30 March 2013

Fur: stuff it


This woman has nonchalantly draped a toy fox - a "tox" if you will - accross her shoulder as if it's the most normal thing in the world.

Perhaps it is the most normal thing in the world - the Harper's Bazaar article presented this photo alongside the caption: "A playful stole lends whimsy to a graphic print coat."

If this were a real fox fur, the questions would be: is this cruel? is this ethical? etc. etc.
Because this is a "tox" we're asking: is this stupid? is this playful and whimsical?

"Playful" would have been the last word I'd use to define her statement. By re-appropriating the "animal" part of "fur" we're encouraged to rethink how animals are used within the fashion industry.

If she can rock a "tox" with such class I am doubtless that I can too. Just get me the right graphic print coat and I'm ready to re-appropriate the giraffe stuffed-toy as a scarf.

No comments: