08 July 2012

Paris Couture Week

This year has been the first Paris Couture Week I have properly followed, and several collections really stood out, completely capturing or turning on its head the expectations of couture.

Dior's AW12 collection did exactly the former. With its sharp lines and bold colours, the collection effortlessly turned couture into work-wear, no easy feat when the expected look is the classic style Elie Saab went for.

In fact, he unbelievably nailed the true idea of couture with fabulously intricate lace and beaded designs I'm doubtless will be splashed over red carpets in the months to come.

But it was the Atelier Versace AW12 collection that was breathtaking. Gowns juxtaposing structure with wispily magical fabrics and tiny pieces of engineering that I found myself lusting after. Can I put an order in for both the mini and maxi green and gold tarot dresses?

Finally, Giambattista Valli's haute couture collection had some real pieces of art in it. Clothes almost too beautiful to be worn. But where's the fun in that? I'll take one of each please. 

No comments: