21 September 2015

Music Monday

Getting some thoughts off my chest about a couple of badass power-women's songs. What are you doing?


Rita Ora (feat. Chris Brown) 'Body on me'

Has everyone forgotten what Chris Brown did? I can't help but wince at lyrics like "Put you up against the wall". Rita, darling, you can do better.

Demi Lovato 'Cool for the Summer'

Can we please talk about the lesbian undertones in this song. Trialling sexuality because the weather's better? Why not. You go for it girl. Men sweat a lot in the summer anyway.

Ellie Goulding 'On My Mind'

EG ticks a lot of my girl crush boxes so to say I was buzzed about her new music is an understatement of ridonkulous proportions.

Let me break it down for you. When it first launched on BBC Radio 1 last week, I kept rewinding Grimmy to repeat the track. I listened to the pre-track interview enough times to mouth their inflections. Not once did I read anything into the Ed Sheeran comparison. Okay, there are some similarities about a hotel, but to condense two artist's songs down to a spat or "shade" (ugh) is detrimental to their art.

And anyway, if it is true all publicity is great publicity. Rumour fuels attention, airplay, views, ticket sales, and sales. For business reasons, they're completely inclined to keep quiet, and even play along.

Goulding's video masterpiece launched today. After her humble recording-in-a-backyard roots, she's come a long way. Horses, Las Vegas and an old Western serif typeface? Budget am I right.
 


FYI, screw copying her beauty look, this is how I'll be rocking up to work from now on:


No comments: