11 July 2012

The Problem With Feminism

The problem with announcing that you're a feminist means that people immediately jump to this preconceived idea of a crazy woman who doesn't shave her legs, throwing herself under a bus for the right to not shave her legs or something.
But hey, guess what, that's a stereotype cooked up by ignorant people.
Suddenly, you're no longer a three dimensional person, you're a feminist, so you must be: a lesbian, a man hater, etc etc etc.
Um, just because I'm a feminist doesn't mean I'm not anything else. I'm also a student, a daughter, a music lover, a sister, a fashion enthusiast, a friend, an assistant dog groomer, etc etc etc - the list goes on.
I don't stop being all the other things I am. I have opinions on other things, and opinions that differ from the general ideas of feminism. That doesn't make me not a feminist, I am a feminist because I choose to be.
It's all about the right to choose. I want to have the choice of whether I become a stay at home mum or a career woman (these have ridiculous stereotypes too but I'm not even going to get into that) or a mix of both in the future, because of feminism, I get to make my own rules about my life.

I'm sick of people trying to justify being for or against anything with the line "I read this article one time which said.... yadda yadda yadda".
It takes years of research, understanding and get this - open-mindedness to build an opinion, and people who jump to conclusions because of a singular article, without knowing the opposing stuff, are just as ignorant as the ones who don't know anything about it. Worse in fact, if they're forcing their potentially misinterpreted ideas down your throat.
I'll believe and fight for what I want, and it's thanks to decades of feminism that I am allowed to do that.  And people who write me off for that can suck it.

If you still don't get what I'm on about, here's a seven minute explanation of exactly what I'm on about, and some other cool stuff. This woman's my new hero:


No comments: